Ashkenazi Jews And Breast Cancer

It has been a labor of love. I am sending my love to all. Genetic disorders are common in various ethnic racial and geographical groups. In fact, breast cancer is slightly higher among Ashkenazi Jews than other women. There seems to be a higher incidence of BRCA1 and BRCA2 gene mutation in Jewish women of Eastern descent, Jews who have come from Germany, Poland, and Russia. These women have an increased susceptibility to breast cancer.

Furthermore, genes are inherited from our biological moms and dads. Researchers have been hard at work trying to help specific cultures understand why they are more likely to develop breast cancer. Many groups have been trying to understand why some cultures have a higher tendency to develop breast cancer, including the group responsible for the coding of the human genome. This has led to new technology, which has developed over the past decades, allowing us to link racial and ethnic groups to specific diseases. Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York is the world’s oldest and largest private institution devoted to the prevention, patient care, research, and education in cancer. They have done numerous studies showing that is Ashkenazi women have a mutant BRCA1 or BRCA2 gene, they face an 80-90% chance of getting breast cancer their lifetime. However, hereditary cancer only accounts for 5-10% of all cancers. Genetic Testing is now available for both BRCA1 and for BRCA2 gene mutations.

A good genetic counselor can help you decide whether these tests are right for you. They will sit down and discuss whether testing is right for you and your family. If you have been diagnosed with breast cancer, become informed about your diagnosis and treatment and what the future holds for you. Find others who are going through what you are going through because a support group helps you get through this hard time in your life.

In conclusion, Ashkenazi Jewish Women have an inherited genetic mutation that increases the risk of breast cancer in Jewish Women of Eastern European Descent. Ashkenazi Jews represent a genetically unique population. The BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutations are higher inAshkenazi Jews, reinforcing the fact that this is a genetically unique group of people. The best thing any women can do is to have your yearly mammograms and ask your health care provider questions about your health. Staying knowledgeable and informed is a great way to stay ahead of breast cancer, so you can catch it early and prevent it from spreading any further, throughout your body. Please take care of your health. A good site on genetic diseases for the Ashkenazi Jewish population: www.jewishgeneticscenter.org